1.04.2011

the quadrantids

Last night was the peak of the annual Quadrantid meteor shower! Since watching a really good meteor shower is on my list (of 24 things to do before I turn 24), I've been keeping track of each scheduled shower. 

I was all set to watch the Quadrantids last night: the sky was clear, the moon was gone, and even the weather wasn't too cold! I stood out at 9pm for about 15 minutes and didn't see a thing, so I re-checked the viewing time online and found that the best time for North America was actually after midnight. So I set my alarm to wake up at 1am. But then I got stupid...

I am extremely interested in paranormal things such as aliens, UFOs, and ghosts. But at the same time, it scares me to death and I get extremely paranoid. So I've realized it's best to avoid television shows and movies about such matter, no matter how interesting it may be. Of course, that doesn't mean I still don't think about creepy things when I'm standing outside alone in the middle of the night, surrounded by dark trees and suspicious corners and shadowy crawlspaces. I knew I'd be scared, even in my own front yard, in the wee hours of the morning when everything is super quiet, so I chickened out and didn't set my alarm after all.

Yep. That's my excuse. I'm feeling rather stupid now in the light of day. And I bit mad at myself for letting my fears get in the way of something I wanted to do...

Now I'm wondering what an awesome meteor shower it might've turned out to be and if I'll get another chance to see a good one this year.

Source: Unknown via Meteor Blog

No comments: