9.17.2010

west with the night


West with the Night is one of my all-time favorite books. It's a memoir written by pilot Beryl Markham in the early 1900s about her adventures growing up in Africa and flying a plane. (Though there is some debate on whether she's the true author.)

Africa and flying have always held a sort of magic for me: I've long been held sway by books such as Out of Africa and Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight: An African Childhood and the movie I Dreamed of Africa. Flying has also always been a dream of mine, so the pairing of the two in this book has fascinated me beyond measure. Oh to live simply and uncertainly in that wild, unknown country... to live off the land and see it stretch for miles and miles... to fly in the air and watch the world rush past... I dream of Africa...

I could probably continue posting "and i quote..." posts about it, but you should really just read it for yourself!

Source: Amazon

No comments: