7.27.2011

magic in the water

I recently came across this article on NPR with photographer Wayne Levin, accompanied by these amazing photographs of akule, "the Hawaiian name for big-eyed scad, a fish that reaches about 8 feet and schools in huge tightly packed groups."

As you already know from my recent posts here and here, I'm a bit obsessed with underwater worlds (and always have been). Here, Levin perfectly describes this world in a way that I never could:

"I titled my first book of underwater photographs Through a Liquid Mirror, which was a play on Through the Looking Glass. Just like Alice, who passes through a mirror and finds herself in a world where things are different (even the rules of logic have changed), when I pass through that mirror called the surface, I am equally in another world.

"Things look different, visibility is more limited, and the atmosphere has more weight, density. Moving through this world is like flying; you can move in three dimensions, and be suspended above or below things. There are plants and animals, which are different from what we are used to seeing; they move differently. This all creates a possibility to take photographs that look different from anything I have seen before."

You can read the rest of the interview with this amazing amazing photographer (who also happens to be living the life in Hawaii) here


Source: Wayne Levin

2 comments:

Charlotte said...

These pictures amaze me and terrify me at the same time. (One of my biggest fears is deep, dark water.) But the way the fish move is phenomenal, like one being instead of thousands...

rachel said...

wow. these are incredible... they remind me of this magical video. I think you might enjoy it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_rFoD1oE6U